Monday, November 26, 2012

Shopaholic in me?

I recently read the famous book - Confession of a Shopaholic. My dear friend had bought the book ages ago and had commented the book was hilarious, and a good read. In spite of this, I had put off the thought of reading the book thinking I probably would not be able to relate to it. One fine day, I was left with no choice but to read 'Undomestic Goddess' written by the same author. Hilarious - definitively, Good read - of course. I enjoyed the book. So, made my decision to give Confession of a Shopaholic a try.
Well, after I read it also while reading it, I kept telling myself - 'I'm nothing like this girl'. Although, once upon a time, I was a teenie-weenie bit like her, but that period of my life is long over. Now, I'm a responsible woman, a mother, a wife, the financial manager of our house!
This is what I had thought. The change in me came the moment I joined my new job. My previous job gave me no scope or time to think of "Shopping". Come to think, some corner of my consciousness always told me - "I know, you were lured by the location of the office rather than anything else to take up this new job". Probably, everything else was reasons I told to conceal the actual fact. Throwing more light about my office, well, it is located a stone throw away from THE 'commercial street'. Commercial Street needs no introduction to bangaloreans or even mysoreans, but for the rest, it is a major shopping center of Bangalore. One walk in that street, you would sure find a reason to burn a hole in your pocket.
The first time I went there as I was new to the office and did not have much work but yes, a lot of time in hand. I went after looked at a discount board to buy new dress for my daughter, you know, as a gift. But there, I saw 3 pair of lovely earring also on discount!! Among that was one of my favourite, pearl earring!!! I lost my previous pearl earring and have been longing for one. So, what if I have to buy the other two with it. It's like bonus, you know!
Now, does that sound wee bit familiar?? Heard of these reasons before? Yes, you would have if you have read the book I just mentioned.
Here begins my confessions. During lunch I went to register for my Spanish Diploma course. On my way back in the bus, I had to get down one stop before because the bus was going different direction from there. I get down and there is a BOOK SALE! Books to me has the same effects as dresses for Becky. I went on buying and buying and buying. I bought books for almost 1000Rs!! Can you beat that!
I bought a vegetarian cook book. I come home and realize more than half of these vegetarian dishes need egg to be prepared. My heart is broken! I paid good 200Rs for it. I felt terrible. I need to check my expenses.
Next day, my brother said he would pick me from a place 5 mins from my office. I left office and realized I still have 15mins before meeting my brother. Another thing I realized is, I have not seen the commercial street properly. I told myself no spending only looking.
After books, my next favorite thing is jewellry, specifically, silver jewellry. There are many shops which sell awesome silver jewelry. I had promised myself I would just look around and not buy anything. As I was browsing I was also checking the price of jewelries I liked. But, that shopkeeper gave me his 'You really can't afford any' look. And lo! I bought myself 'rose crystal' earrings. You know, rose crystals keep stress at bay so it was okay to buy it. Like this I had a million more shopping experience which made me realize I sure do have a shopaholic in me!!!!!

I quit this dream job a year ago... to fulfill my duties as a mother. This article is tribute to first anniversary of quitting job and my extravagant shopping!

No comments: